Future of Life Sciences
The MIT Center for Collective Intelligence, MIT Media Lab’s Community Biotechnology Initiative, and MilliporeSigma—the life science business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany—have come together to collaborate on multiple programs exploring the future of life sciences.
Life Sciences Supermind Activation and Report
In April and May of 2021, the Life Sciences Supermind brought together a group of leaders in the biosciences and related disciplines, using an online platform and synchronous virtual events, to gain insights into key challenges the life sciences sector will face in coming years.
The overall challenge posed to the group was:
How do we identify and apply the learnings from the COVID-19 pandemic to reimagine the institutions, processes, policies and tools we use across the Life Sciences to address global health needs for all?
Participants were invited to contribute their ideas, and comment on ideas submitted by others.
The specific categories included:
- Disruptive technologies and methodologies e.g. incorporating multiuse platforms and technology, disease agnostic approaches, digital tools.
- Future of scientific research and development, e.g. new skillsets, tools to accelerate lab productivity, innovation models, funding models, collaboration across institutions.
- Public health preparedness, science and technologies, e.g. both infectious and chronic diseases, emerging technology within Life Science, creating a new discipline.
- Science communication, within the scientific community and the general public.
- Flexible and resilient manufacturing, supply, and distribution chains, focus on shifting needs, increasing resilience to turn the capacity for the future.
- Life Sciences Supermind: Disruptive Technologies
- Life Sciences Supermind: Science Communication
- Life Sciences Supermind: Public Health Preparedness, Sciences, & Technologies
- Life Sciences Supermind: Reimagining The Global Health Ecosystem
- Life Sciences Supermind: The Future Of Scientific Research And Development
This series of virtual events broadens the conversation around individual technical challenge areas identified in the Life Sciences Supermind Activation. During each session, thought leaders from across the scientific community will take an in-depth look at the current state-of-affairs in the relevant topic area, share data-driven insights, and discuss the latest innovations and proposed solutions to some of today’s toughest challenges in life sciences. Each session includes live audience Q&A.
Join an Upcoming Event (registration links coming soon):
Flexible & Resilient Manufacturing, Supply & Distribution Chain, December 9, 2021
Watch a Past Event:
Disruptive Technologies (link coming soon), November 15, 2021
Science Communication, October 18, 2021
Public Health, Preparedness, Technologies & Sciences, September 22, 2021
Future of Scientific Research & Development, August 12, 2021