Pandemic Response Programs
The MIT Center for Collective Intelligence, MIT Media Lab’s Community Biotechnology Initiative, and MilliporeSigma—the life science business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany—have come together to collaborate on multiple pandemic response programs.
Pandemic Response Supermind Activation and Report
In May 2020, we convened more than 180 experts and global leaders in science, healthcare, public policy, and other sectors for a three-week exercise to address the following challenge:
How can we develop pandemic resilience—the ability for society to recover quickly from global disease outbreaks—both in resolving the current COVID-19 pandemic and in building the public health and other infrastructure to prepare for future pandemics?
We activated the expert group—or ‘Supermind’—to share their ideas on how to address this challenge in five domain areas: (1) diagnostics and monitoring; (2) viral transmission control; (3) therapies and vaccines; (4) validating, sharing, and communicating scientific insights; and (5) pandemic preparedness.
Throughout the remainder of 2020, we are releasing chapter installments of the findings from each of these domains.
- Supermind Activation First Findings
- Supermind Activation Diagnostics & Monitoring
- Superminds Activation Therapies & Vaccines
Pandemic Response Catalyst Conversations
This series of virtual events broadens the conversation around individual technical challenge areas identified in the Pandemic Response Supermind Activation. During each session, thought leaders from across the scientific community take an in-depth look at the current state-of-affairs in the relevant topic area, share data-driven insights and discuss the latest innovations and proposed solutions to some of today’s toughest challenges in pandemic response. Each session includes live audience Q&A.
- Vaccines and Therapies and the Need for Speed, September 17, 2020 from 10 – 11 am ET
- Building Trust and Gaining Adoption: How to Validate and Communicate Scientific Insights in a Pandemic, October 11, 2020
- What Have We Learned? Preparation and Prevention for the Next Global Disease Outbreak, Week of November 16, 2020
- Replay from May 28, 2020: Mask Innovations for Virus Transmission Control
- Replay from June 25, 2020: Harnessing Data, Diligence and Collective Intelligence
- Replay from August 20, 2020: Innovations in Diagnostics and Detection on the Road to Re-densification
Pandemic Response CoLab
Based on actionable themes that emerged during the Pandemic Response Supermind Activation, we are generating a series of open, crowdsourcing challenges for global communities to contribute to via our newly launched platform, the Pandemic Response CoLab. MilliporeSigma is a founding member of the platform, which helps individuals and groups work together to solve practical problems created by the COVID-19 pandemic. See the ideas and contribute to the open challenges at www.PandemicResponseCoLab.org.